The Village Hall was built in 1897 for the benefit of the residents of Tongham to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The building was put into a charitable trust to be used for the benefit of the inhabitants of Tongham, their visitors and friends for use in engaging in physical activities or for social, moral, cultural or literary purposes.
There are two foundation stones: the first was laid by H M Chester on 25th December 1897 on behalf of subscribers and donors and the second by the vicar the Rev H M Harke on behalf of the trustees and the building committee.
It was officially opened on the 26th of May 1898 by Lord Lieutenant Viscount Middleton.
Since then the Hall has been the home of various sports, cultural and social gatherings such as the Tongham Women’s Institute, and the Tongham Olde Time Dance Club, which met at the hall for over fifty years. A Badminton club has been meeting here on Monday nights for several decades, and we now have a Boxing group three times a week.
Why not schedule your group’s meetings at Tongham Village Hall at an affordable price, and become part of Tongham history, too?
Tongham Village Hall is a charitable trust operated for the benefit of the residents of Tongham. In the process of maintaining and improving the Village Hall the trust has been fortunate to receive sponsorship and funding from a number of individual and organisations and would like to acknowledge the contributions received from the following:-
Community Foundation for Surrey through the Grassroots Grants programme
SITA Trust through the Landfill Communities Fund
Surrey County Council through the Members Allocation Fund
Tongham Parish Council through the Community Grants Fund